Chapter 1 – Seven Brain Pillars or Tracts
- Intrapersonal – empathic intuitive
- Interpersonal – empathic relational
Left Brain learning was so named because most are left brain dominant & they use intrapersonal, interpersonal, linguistic, logical/mathematical pillars in the brain to interact. What was called Right brain is not physically right brain but those who were otherwise – using the pillars of kinaesthesia (movement & touch), music & visual/special to interact. What cartoons & digital overuse have done is shifting more children to be kinaesthetic, musical & visual – neglecting other 4 pillars in an abnormally brain wired situation. Drugs can’t reverse this wrong neuronal wiring as in ADHD but empathic learning can. Drugs can temporarily modulate the wrong chemistry in an unpredictable manner. Music & drama, arts & crafts, moulding, games & puzzles offer a bridge to rewire brain to shift back to I,I, L,L wiring of former 4 pillars. Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Linguistic & Logical pillars wiring are found in the frontal lobe. Kinaesthetic pillar runs thru motor & sensory cortex; musical pillar & visual pillars use parietal cortex. Middle five also use the Temporal lobe. Symptoms of ADHD differ depending on which part of the brain was wired wrong most.
I-I-L-L (Left Brain) people were 70% & K-M-V (Right Brain) used to be 30%. With the digital revolution KMV expressionists – (kinaesthetic, musical, visual) have dramatically increased – so the explosion of cinema, media, dramatists, fashion, graphics, entertainment, advertisements, cartoons, sports, digital overplus, presenters – more show than do left brain system managements. Also resulting in poor interpersonal & intrapersonal management and reduction of linguistic ability & logical approach plus weak mathematics
Neuronal wiring of the seven interaction pillars run thru the different areas of brain – using diverse chemicals – dopamine, serotonin, noradrenaline, endorphins etc. Giving a drug will affect all receptors of that kind in every pillar – with no lasting improvement. Empathic Learning rewires the deficient pillars to rebalance the child’s neuronal behaviour making him proficient where he was weak.
Seven Brain Tracts, Curriculum & Career
Thought Tests & Scores are available to assess how children have wired through formative years. At 14 years children can choose career & curriculum according to the test scores which can indicate brain wiring predilections. One can predict if child fit law or visual field. When being recruited for jobs such testing will prevent people being recruited for jobs for which their brains are not wired. Each one has a certain way in which they were set up in the brain pillars when born which becomes their dominant pattern. Digital surplus can override this & wire the latter 3 tracts too much in a way that other tracts are overshadowed. While one may be your dominant tract & two others follow, wiring all tracts to reasonable measure provides for a well balanced brain.
- Intrapersonal – when this wires well according to the internal thought patterns of the child, such a child is internally eloquent – thinks & speaks of herself well. Default Mode Network (DMN) is the basal thought pattern of a person at rest. This is restored during sleep & during passive pensive reflection. This is invaded by constant digital interaction which keeps a child jittery & unsure of oneself. Those children who are inward & not interpersonal will think within for answers. These people are strong on introspection & reflection. They like solicitude & to work alone. Researchers, Judges, Mathematicians, Therapists will have this tract dominant.
- Interpersonal – when this tract is well wired the person communicates his desire or thought well. He is able to make others “hear him”. Disabled in this tract because of digital surplus or other stress, risk, threat, trauma – the child feels fractured in his ability to be heard, understood. They go silent thinking – nobody wants me. Nobody understands me. Etc. Needless say, for a child to be connected parents must be available. If not they connect & make community elsewhere. When connected interpersonally, people communicate well. Yet you need to remember constant chatter of a child is not necessarily good connection or communication. People who feel disconnect can endlessly chatter hoping they will be understood by someone somewhere. Children who are low In this tract will avoid eye contact – you must not tell them, “Look at me & answer”. You must not interpret their looking away as disrespect. In class too, they will look afar but will be absorbing. Those who are high in interpersonal tract will relate their way thru with others to find answers. HR & PR people, managers, Politicians, Counsellors, Religious shepherds will be strong in this Brain pillar.
- Linguistic – linguistic ability develops well when a child is allowed to absorb phonemes in the first year & 2nd & 3rd More about this in the section on speech. Digital exposure retards absorption of speech. Linguistics may be technical, managerial, logical – as in law, medicine etc. a Verbal child is good at this. Linguistics may be poetic & flowery, drawing pictures using language – this was thought of as being right brain or creative. Some may be both – wordmasters. These read much, books are always around them, they play with words. Those who are dominant in this will become public speakers, politicians, Journalists, Presenters, novelists, poets, lawyers.
- Logical/mathematical – as is described in the Executive Empathic Planning Pathway (EMPP), child’s crawl or early steps are planned mathematically. Reflective processes wire up the child’s logical mathematical tract (LMT). Reflexive processes as watching digital screen or quickly reacting to demands of digital gaming wire up the child quick response Risk Survival Stress Pathway (RSSP). That is the intuitive, dreamy child. To be logical & mathematical children need quiet time. You reason out answers. You understand, resolve, negotiate & provide solutions. Such become engineers, mathematicians, teachers, doctors, scientists, researchers, accountants, Banker, Lawyers.
- Kinaesthetic – the ill effects of digital stimulation are most experienced on this tract explaining the classic triad labelled as ADHD – Impulsivity, hyperactivity, inattention. There were children who were always dramatic & spoke with all their face & hands & body – body language. These children will study well while moving – large plastic balls or rocking chairs. Naturally kinaesthetic tract is terribly exaggerated by digital overplus. They become accident prone. Empathic Learning Therapy (ELT) for such children is to give them avenues for kinaesthesia in creative ways rather than disruptive ways. These are good at sports, drama, acting, dance, mechanic, surgeon, choreographer, physical therapist.
Sit down & stop talking & listen to me – will be terrible advice to give to children whose dominant tracts are kinaesthetic & linguistic. They think best when they move. They obey best when they talk thru to you asking questions. These questions are not because they are rebellious but that’s the way they are wired to come to conclusions. “Look at me straight in the eye & answer – would also be terrible persecution for these children when their main tract is special –visual. They have to star gaze in order to absorb.
- Acoustic – musical tract is very useful as it connects both hemispheres & many tracts. This is why classical music helps in stroke recovery. I know of a young executive who suffered a left brain haemorrhage & recovered motor function of the right side of the body but had aphasia – no speech. His school friend came to visit him 10 weeks after the event & played “Amazing Grace” on the guitar. After a while the patient broke out into singing the full song for memory. A different tract from usual speech connected. He recovered speech with further speech therapy after this initial breakthrough & is employed again. Digital music obviously can overwire this tract inhibiting other learning skills. Some students feel they study better with ear plugs rolling music in – yet their recall is poor. Such are musical, tuneful, love to sing, intuitive, sensitive, you go a lot by feelings, “moody”, speculative, predictive. Their jobs will have to do with music, entertainment, sound, theatre, musician, dramatist, ,
- Visual/Spatial – this is not only visual colours but also sense of space & spatial movement. The latter is known as proprioception. Balance, proprioception & cerebellum are all interactive & swimming is an excellent activity for children with impulsivity, hyperactivity & inattention -usually labelled ADHD. Moulding with rough clay helps wire this tract which is also involved in handwriting. So clay moulding improves handwriting. All of 3D visual & touch sense wires up this tract well. Children getting addicted 2D digital screen is tragically ruinous since it obstructs 3D natural world interaction. These people think pictorial, love to sketch while taking notes, illustrate. It’s not only art Einstein thought through space & time. Such become artistes, interior décor, fashion, architect, graphic designer, photographer, videographer, presenter.
How you learn, absorb, express & solve problems depend on what brain process tract is dominant in you. Intrapersonal child (or adult) will think thru within. Interpersonal one will seek others’ company to interact in threshing some issue out. Linguistic people will discover solutions in talking thru or writing poems or prose. Logical one will raise endless questions – not out of rebellion but out of logic. Don’t say – shut up & do what I say. Kinaesthetic one will best study on a big ball & will need to move about to “air” his neurones & rhythm will streamline her thoughts. Musical dominant will listen or play music to absorb or unravel. Visual spatial one will draw art or stare into spaces imagining.
Right brain child goes from larger picture to details. She thinks larger picture first. So they are good at décor, fashion, stage set etc. Left brain child goes from details to larger picture. When developed equally a prodigy results. Digital abuse overwires the Right Brain facility & such children can’t do details. Forever they are imagining. Swimming & Music, handwriting help correcting Right & Left brain disparity.
Children grow daily. You cannot postpone their engagement to grand & unrealistic dream holidays. Daily Heart engagement, receiving & giving love develop the intrapersonal & interpersonal Brain Pillars (neural network). Heart brain has 40,000 neurones. Brain upstairs & brain downstairs (heart) must wire well with love given & love received. That’s how IQ & EQ interact. Hugs & touch help the child & protect them from toxic touch. If not scientists speak of cutaneous deprivation. Meaning no hugs.
Seven Brain Character Tracts are distributed from frontal lobe – intrapersonal to visual/spatial tract in the rear Occipital lobe. In between is logical/mathematical tract (LMT). This is not only about 9 times 9 being 81 but how very children calculate logical steps for thought, visual, touch, motor coordination. You have a play pen. Child plans I will take 4 crawl steps to edge. Stand up holding pen fence & get up & then throw my toy for mom to pick up & then I throw again for mom to pick up. This is successful goal planning with joy for end goal. Give him an Ipad or tablet or smart phone, all this is obliterated. This also includes mom for one hour in child play & why not dad also?