List of Activities & Purpose – available at Empathic Motor Activity Therapy Centre (EMAT) – “DARE” 374, Serpentine Road, Colombo 8
DARE – Dynamic Attention Reboot Empathy
Empathic Motor Centre Items –;
- Long stretch 38ft – 3/4 LRCC elements; * Multi-Line Traverse
* Tension Traverse
* Ships Crossing
* Cargo Net Trestle Bridge
* Unsupported Burma Bridge (w/o lower wire rope support)
* Bosun Chairs
* Underslung ‘Ladder’ is also possible below ‘Aerial Tunnel’
Upper elements to be;
* Burma Bridge
* Aerial Tunnel
* Swinging Logs
All Upper elements to have safety line & all participants will use PEP – helmet & harness
Of the above, these are new to ATRAC; *Unsupported Burma Bridge &
* Swinging Logs
* Underslung ‘Ladder’
Parallel to the ‘double decker’ LRCC, we will utilize the ‘strip’ & edge
(Upper Body, Eye & Hand Coordination)
* Peg Traverse
* Loop Traverse
* Rung Traverse
* Atomic Balls
18th March 2017
Dear Head of School,
I just concluded a Digital Safety Lecture to Police officers, Community Police, Police Academy, Teachers, Child Care & Protection officers and Therapists.
- Police are the most concerned about the digital abuse as they handle the violent & criminal fall out of digitalization. Police already closely work with us.
- Therapists are out depths as numbers & problems overwhelm them with doctors making it worse by prescribing stimulant drugs & easily diagnosing ADHD. Doctors think the over-diagnosing solves the problem.
- Child Care & Protection already lament that most of their 24/7 calls are from mothers trying to calm down 12 year old boys fighting for more digital stuff.
- Teachers are concerned & know the seriousness of the problem, but shrug their shoulders and say, “What can we do? Curriculum is too much anyway. We can’t handle social & cultural issues that parent should”. Wrong thinking!!! If schools don’t handle social, cultural, moral & spiritual issues of their students, you may not have students to teach. Some schools are over-committed to e-learning contrary to the damning evidence recently published world over.
- Parents – deny.
So I am writing to Schools that you arise to the mission before you. You cannot escape meaningfully addressing – social, cultural, moral, spiritual & learning problems, digital abuse create. Here is my offer.
- I will do a 45 min lecture with latest research data, to parents, teachers & O/L, A/L students on a day & time you choose. Lecture will convince students their practice must change & that the smart screen is making them stupid, destroying their curricular potential. Parents will agree. Teachers you get the chance you sought to have a better set of teachable students.
- Head of Institution, you must agree to do follow up soon. If not they lose conviction.
- Follow up is a 90 min session by professional coach on a franchised tract at DARE Empathic Motor Centre – Borella near The Oval (Affiliate of Colombo Empathic Learning Centre) – 3600 sq ft of high intensity rope & other tracts that will begin a re-wiring process of brain tracts over-writing the disco effects of digital abuse on kinaesthesia, acoustic & visual tracts. Proven by recent Harvard study. You may choose to send an interest group such as prefects, cricket team, interact club, SCM, CSU etc.
- You have to follow this up preferably within a week, on a Saturday or Public Holiday half day at outdoor ATRAC Trails – Pamunugama Jaela – 40 min on Expressway. We will only charge for food.
- This offer is made because every Friday I see free of charge students of varying ages with tragic effects of digital abuse, teacher ignorance, parental neglect & Pharmaceutical mess up – speech scrambled, sleep disturbed, falling grades, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome of the Young, school drop outs, sexual aberrations, addiction to gambling, drugs, violence, digital games.
I trust you will act on this.
Dr Lalith Mendis
Director/Colombo Empathic Learning Centre
Dr Lalith Mendis is the Founder Director of the Empathic Learning Centre, Colombo and was (formerly) Registrar, Dept of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Colombo & Head of Dept of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Kelaniya. Being a Gold Medalist from Colombo Medical Faculty, in Medicine, Pathology & Pharmacology – Dr Lalith topped his batch on graduation. He has researched the effect of digital overuse on children & youth and developed empathic therapies to reverse inattention, impulsivity & hyperactivity. Dr Mendis hosts the monthly Digital Forum at his centre and has delivered lectures & conducted seminars on this theme in leading schools & Corporates in Colombo. He has also lectured in Germany, Malaysia & UK. Author of five books on the topic, his books Right Learning & Recovering Childhood, Children Our Heritage & Let the Children Come to Me are in their second print. His books are available from all major bookstores in Colombo. His latest book “Parenting Heart & Brain – in an age of digital domination” has a preface from the former Dean of the Medical faculty of Colombo. “I have been seeing children affected by too much cartoon abuse. This is not about ADHD but normal children with agitation & hyperactivity & inattention in studies”.
Empathic Learning & Motor Therapy – Dr Lalith Mendis
To Counteract Digital Addiction & Inattention, Impulsivity, Hyperactivity
Age relevant Puzzle placement helps children to develop spatial sense & aim and timber crafted puzzles also feel rough touch on the fingers that helps develop brain tracts. Scour the whole puzzle plan & place the piece is excellent brain navigation activity (BNA). Meccano set with clockwise moving screw driver in right hand & counter-clockwise moving spanner in left hand is even better BNA. Catching the ball, throwing the ring, Carom – all provide eye, hand coordination.
When kids are turning thirteen, & the above become “boring”, rough rope thrill course helps in many ways. This was my working thesis for 4 years now validated by a controlled clinical trial from Harvard. Rough ropes, eye, hand, finger, foot coordination all – help towards pressure touch, spatial sense (proprioception) over-writing the digitally over-wired kinaesthetic, acoustic, visual (Disco) tracts. Dopamine in salience tracts & Serotonin in satiety tracts return to normal homeostasis.
Digital stimulation sets dopamine & Serotonin cycles in kid or youth brain at variance with each other – driven without satisfaction – Stimulating ADHD. This recruits anti-reward systems involving opioids that interpret pain as pleasure – hence the dyspathic selfie behaviour as happens in chronic stress, PTSD & other addictions. The recent Harvard study underscores my working hypothesis over last 4 years – try empathic small motor activity to overwrite the multidirectional firing of dopamine connections. No child should be given drugs for ADHD without reducing screen time & before trying Empathic Learning & Motor Therapy. ELC every Friday free of cost – 0771512801
Pediatrics September 2014 – Effects of the FITKids Randomized Controlled Trial on Executive Control and Brain Function – Charles H. Hillman, Matthew B. Pontifex, Darla M. Castelli, Naiman A. Khan, Lauren B. Raine, Mark R. Scudder, Eric S. Drollette, Robert D. Moore, Chien-Ting Wu, Keita Kamijo